Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rogliano Week #1 part 1


Last week in a nutshell

On Tuesday the grandparents and Francesco came back from Genova. The house was so much noisier once they came back! But much less awkward. Francesco is really quite the crack-up. He really lightens the awkwardness every time he’s in the room. He likes to make jokes a lot and screw around. Typical 10 year old boy. He and I get along really well as do he and Brent. Meals that day had way less awkward silences and Brent and I felt like talking in Italian became a lot easier. We spend most of our late evenings at our friends Mike and Brandon’s house because they have internet and we don’t. Our host family talks about their host son Corbin from last years program every single day. I don’t think I have had a single conversation with them so far that didn’t mention Corbin in some way. Here are some of the following things we’ve been told about him: He didn’t like the other people on his program so he never left the house besides for school, spent all his time playing with Francesco outside, taught his family to play beer pong, wrote Francesco a long letter at the end of the program about him being his “fratellino” or little brother, spoke very good Italian, was very very handsome (our grandma and host mom stress this) and was essentially the perfect host child. They talk about him so often we feel like there is no way we can live up to his standard which is really hard. Our nonna told us that Corbin “will always be first in her heart”. A couple days ago he wrote Francesco an email saying in italian “there are no words to describe how much I miss you”. Awesome. I think it’s really cool how close they were/are to him, but it’s hard feeling like there’s no way we can be as close to them as he was. That’s rather frustrating.

Anyways, Wednesday we didn’t have class until 5 so I got to sleep in. Played with Francesco and that evening I went and hung out with Brandon and Mike after dinner which was fun. Mike and I ended up taking a night walk to Marzi, wandering around there, visiting the cemetery (which is really cool with a bunch of old mausoleums), and then sitting and talking for an hour before walking me home. That was a good night. Thursday, we had class from 10-1 then hung out with Francesco and the fam the rest of the day. Friday we went on a tour to Cosenza with Ruggero. We got to see the Duomo of Cosenza which was awesome and then we all hung out together and shopped and had lunch together.  Those of us that became really close in Rome have really been missing each other so our day in Cosenza was our day to catch up. It’s really strange not living with my girls any more and it’s weird not being able to hang out with all the boys every night. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rogliano, but I had just settled into my life in Rome and had really started to love everything about it and then we moved here. Oh well. I really hope I can keep all these friendships with these people when we get back to UW because I really like them all. We had chinese food for lunch (which actually wasn’t that bad) and then took a train ride back to Rogliano. Hung out with the family for a few hours, playing with Francesco, had dinner, and then that night there was an “American Party” at the bar in Marzi. Pretty much everyone went to that and the bar was completely packed. All 28 of us, plus many many more Italians (mostly males). I didn’t have that much fun that night because I was starting to get a sore throat and some of the guys at the bar started to creep me out. One guy had been going to multiple girls in our group almost every night last week, asking them if they thought I would have sex with him. Creepy creepy creepy. So not down with that. Hella creepster. That’s kind of putting me off Roglianese guys majorly. Not cool at all. Saturday I hung out with my family for the day, I woke up a little bit more sick but still ok. I took a nice long nap after lunch so I could go to a party Saturday night. Mike and Brandon’s host dad was throwing a “birra festa” for only the American kids and their older host siblings. So much fun. Best night I’ve had here so far. I got to wear my sparkly shoes that I bought in Rome and my blue dress that I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment